Friday, February 7, 2014

Beat the Freeze!

Stay moisturized through winter's dry chill



You know the signs when winter hits, the fluffy white snow, the crisp cold air, the bare trees against the blue sky- gorgeous!  Unfortunately not all the sights are so lovely.  If you're like me, your skin starts taking on the appearance of a molting snake, your hair gets an electric charge and stands on end, and your lips start to crack like nobody's business.  The good news is, you can beat the freeze!  Keep reading and I've got some simple tips that will help you enjoy the beauty of winter without becoming its victim.

Drink Water!!




I cannot stress this enough! In the summer when it's hot this seems practical, but it's just as important to do in the winter.  Drinking water will plump the cells in your body and therefore bring moisture to your skin, nails, hair, etc.  Always aim for 8 8oz glasses a day or more. If you aren't a fan of cool water in the winter you can drink warm tea as well. :)

 

Deep Condition Your Hair


Other times of the year you may be able to get away with using simple conditioner to keep your hair silky smooth.  Unfortunately when the air becomes bone dry it'll try to take your hair down with it as well.  Using a deep moisturizing treatment will help keep the static at bay and the flyaways tamed.  Current favorites of mine include:
Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle
It smells like coconut crème and makes your hair super shiny! 
Tip: people with fine hair, only use it on the lower 2/3 of your hair to avoid weighing down your roots.  You can find this at just about any drug store, or you can order it online HERE.
Organic Coconut Oil
It has endless uses!  I could write a whole blog on the things I use it for!  You can scoop it in it's solid form and rub it between your palms and comb it through your dry hair with your fingers for a quick static fix.  You can also use this as a hot oil treatment by melting it down and applying it to your dry or damp hair and scalp.  Let it sit for as long as long as you'd like- I usually aim for 30-60 minutes.  Wash your hair well afterwards.  
Tip: try this on a day when you'll be staying home if you're doing this for the first time to see how your hair reacts.  Again, you can find this at just about any drug store.  I always buy mine at Walmart.

 Moisturize Your Skin

I've been a lotion and cream fanatic my entire life.  I use it religiously after every shower and hand washing and for some strange reason, I also have to use it on my feet before I put on socks (I know, weird).  However, I've found the use of moisturizers essential to keeping my skin healthy and baby's butt soft.  Luckily my obsession has led me to try many many brands' products and I've been able to narrow down my all-time favorites which are all sensitive-skin-friendly:
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion


For typical daily use.

Eucerin Original Healing Cream
For deep moisture.
Olay Complete Sensitive Skin Moisturizer 
For your face.
Extra Light Olive Oil
Once in a while I like to mix this with my moisturizer and just slather it all over after a shower. It is a great moisturizer and it leaves your skin super glowy.  It is super important to make sure it is extra light unless you want to smell like a walking olive. :)

 

Protect Your Lips

Keeping your lips moisturized and protected from the cold is super important unless you want them to turn into sandpaper (who doesn't love kissing sandpaper?).  Using a nice lip balm is one option.  I personally like to use Vaseline as I am allergic to lanolin which is found in nearly every lip balm it seems.  Always apply a product to your lips before going out in the cold and especially at night.  Your body does most of it's rejuvenating at night so it's imperative to provide your lips with some extra moisture before you retire for a snooze.
Please Subscribe to my blog to see more posts from me :)
...Vanessa...   

2 comments:

  1. All these ideas are very informative and I've used them, they have to be contributing to my youthful glow. I have sensitive skin and I have to say the coconut oil works wonders, and is inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to try the coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete