Sunday, February 9, 2014

Coconut Beauty

My Favorite Coconut Oil Uses!


It's been all the hype this last year, and for good reason!  Coconut oil has some amazing properties and uses for health and beauty alike.  I've taken the liberty of compiling a list of my personal favorite uses for this amazing oil.  I hope you find this helpful and try some of these ideas for yourself!


First off!


I like to keep a jar of coconut oil on my vanity for convenience sake.  If you're like me and enjoy pretty things you can swap out the jar it comes in for a jar of your choice easily- I found mine at Pier 1 Imports.  Here's how to do it:

1. Set your jar of coconut oil in a pan of water, bring to a boil to melt down the oil.



2. Be careful when you handle the jar- it could be hot! Pour the melted oil into your pretty jar. 


3. Let the oil cool- you can place it in the fridge for faster cooling. Use a spoon or spatula to scoop it out of the jar for use. (Avoid using your fingers to keep germs and bacteria from transferring to the jar)


4. Keep it stored with a sealed lid (or saran wrap it before replacing the lid) and continue reading below for some great tips!


My favorite coconut oil uses!


Moisturizer
Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer for dry skin and, as odd as it sounds it's also amazing for oily skin!  Skin gets oily due to an overproduction of oil which typically happens as a result of stripping the oils from your skin.  I've actually found that using coconut oil as a moisturizer keeps my skin from getting oily during the day!  Bonus- it also makes my skin glow!  Try it and see if it does the same for you!
Tip:  If you are planning to wear makeup after moisturizing with coconut oil give your face an hour or so to soak in the oil to avoid having your makeup slide all over. :)

Acne
Coconut oil contains natural antiseptic qualities which guard against germs and bacteria.  Before I started using coconut oil I was getting quite a few breakouts and it drove me nuts!  On a whim, I decided to replace my moisturizer with coconut oil to see if it helped- it's incredible the difference it made for me! 
Tip:  Before applying the oil, tone your face with a little bit of apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball to help dry any breakouts.   

Makeup Remover
Coconut oil works wonderful as a makeup remover- even for waterproof makeup!
Tip: If you are having a hard time removing your makeup, run a washcloth under hot water and soak it on your eyes for a minute or two then try again with the oil. 

Face Wash
Ahh! She's crazy! Coconut oil as a face wash?! Actually it really is insane... how well it works! Here's what you do:  Melt about a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.  mix in an equal amount of baking soda.  Using the tips of your fingers, gently rub the mixture in small circles all over your face- be extra gentle on the eye area.  Rinse your face with hot water until all of the grittiness from the baking soda is gone, pat it dry, and Voila!  Your face will have oil remaining on it, this is normal. Allow it to soak in and it works as a moisturizer as well!

Hot Oil Hair Treatment
Though hot oil treatments are not proven to improve hair growth, there is plenty of evidence for a healthy scalp improving hair growth.  Hot oil treatments bring moisture to the scalp and massages improve blood flow to the scalp which can improve hair growth and health.  To do a hot oil treatment, melt down the coconut oil and massage it into your scalp for a few minutes.  Run the remaining oil through the length of your hair and let it sit for about 30-60 minutes.  Clean the oil from your hair with shampoo and condition only the lower 2/3 if you need some added softness.

Shaving 
For amazingly soft skin, use coconut oil in replacement for shaving cream (another alternative is to use extra light olive oil).  
Tip:  If you wash your body prior to shaving you will only need to rinse your skin afterwards and you will have oil remaining on your skin as an incredible moisturizer!

Post Shave/Wax
Nobody enjoys razor burn, shave bumps, or irritated skin from waxing.  To soothe your skin after hair removal, apply coconut oil to irritated areas a couple times a day.


Comment below with requests for topics and/or tips and I will do my best to fill them!

Please Subscribe to my blog to see more posts from me :)
...Vanessa... 

2 comments:

  1. I have never known exactly what to use coconut oil for, but have heard so many different things and great things. After reading this blog, I finally went out and bought myself some! I am following your blog on my RSS feed and I can't wait to continue to read your stuff!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Let me know if you come up with any other awesome uses. I am always on the hunt for new things to try out! <3 Vanessa

    ReplyDelete